When You Apply: Upload a Scanned Copy of the Official Transcript to ApplyWeb
All applicants must upload a scanned copy, front and back, of their official transcript/academic record issued by the Registrar or Records Office to the applicant, to ApplyWeb for each applicable associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, professional, or doctoral degree earned or in progress. The scanned copy of the official transcript is used for initial review by the graduate program faculty.
If you’ve attended non-U.S institutions, please follow the GPA calculation instructions to convert your international grade point average to a U.S. 4.0 scale using the Scholaro GPA Calculator. Then fill the U.S 4.0 scale GPA converted by Scholaro in the appropriate place in ApplyWeb.
Please note: The scanned copy of the official transcript sent by the student is NOT considered an official transcript. It is only for review purposes at the application stage. Once you are offered admission, you should ask your previous institutions to send the official transcript directly to us. Please find more information about the official transcript below.
Once You Are Offered Admission: Submit an Official Transcript
Once you are officially admitted to the College of Engineering, you have until the end of your first semester to submit an official transcript and documentation of your each associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, professional, or doctoral degree earned. Please keep in mind that we must receive these documents by the end of your first semester at the University of Michigan or your admission is subject to cancellation.
When possible, include a completed Transcript/Academic Record Submission Form with your transcripts. This is a helpful aid in matching your documents to your record and is mandatory for all transcripts submitted in person. Please carefully review the following information to be sure you submit the correct documents to the correct place.
Note**: U-M Ann Arbor Applicants (Current or Previous Students): Do not submit your U-M Ann Arbor transcript. CoE will obtain your U-M Ann Arbor transcript internally. However, please submit all your degree transcripts from other institutions you attended, including U-M Dearborn or U-M Flint.
What Is an Official Transcript?
An official transcript/academic record must be:
- An original or attested copy with an original institutional seal and signature of the Registrar.
- The attested copy should be issued and signed or stamped by the same office that issues original documents from the degree granting institution. An apostille certification is not necessary. Notarized copies are not acceptable.
- If it is written on the transcript, the recipient of the transcript should be the University of Michigan, not under your name.
- The transcript/academic record should be sent by your previous school’s Registrar (or Controller of Examinations) or equivalent. If your school does not have a Registrar or a similar department, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important: If the transcript is from a non-U.S institution, please follow the Required Academic Credentials Instructions to check if you need to submit your diplomas/graduate certificates as well. If the transcript is not in English, please submit a version of the transcript in its original language as well as a version with its official English translation.
The English translations must be literal, word for word translations in the same format as the original academic record. If your academic institution does not supply an official translation, we will accept an official translation prepared by a professional licensed translation service or from an Education USA office in your region.
What Is NOT an Official Transcript?
● Documents (paper or electronic) sent to our office by anyone that is not a Registrar (or Controller of Examinations) or equivalent. If your school does not have a registrar or a similar department, please contact us at email@example.com.
● Documents (paper or electronic) that have been opened prior to submitting them to our office.
● A “true” copy prepared and signed by a faculty member, city or government official, or notary public is not considered official.
● An evaluation provided by a credential service, for example Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES), is not accepted by CoE. Exception: the College of Engineering will accept electronic evaluations from Educational Perspectives (EP).
Different Ways to Submit an Official Transcript
E-transcripts are strongly preferred. Do not submit the same transcript both electronically and by paper.
● If requesting an e-transcript, request the Registrar (or Controller of Examinations) send an electronic transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to note the College of Engineering at University of Michigan as the receiver, if applicable.
● Documents not sent by the Registrar (or Controller of Examinations) or equivalent are not considered official and will not be accepted. The documents sent directly from your schools should come from an official email address affiliated with your university and include the office/name of sender.
Submit by Mail
You may also request to have a hard copy of your official transcripts mailed directly to the College of Engineering. If possible, include a completed Transcript/Academic Record Submission Form with your transcripts. Official documents must arrive in an unopened envelope sealed by the issuing institution and can be sent to:
Attn: College of Engineering, Graduate and Professional Education
145A Chrysler Center
2121 Bonisteel Boulevard
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092
Submit in Person
● If you have a hard copy to submit in person, please keep in mind that it will only be considered official if it is in an unopened envelope that has been sealed and stamped by the issuing institution. If it has been previously opened, it will not be accepted as official.
● Be sure to include a completed Transcript/Academic Record Submission Form with your transcripts. This is mandatory for all transcripts submitted in person.
● Students can drop off documents to the College of Engineering Office of Student Affairs at 143 Chrysler Center Monday-Friday from 9:00am – 4:00pm.
Note**: If students requiring their original documents returned to them, students can bring their original documents to our office. We can help scan the documents and give it back to the students.
If students don’t ask us to return their original educational documents, all documentation received becomes the property of the University of Michigan and will not be returned.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of transcript should I order?
Submit only official transcripts. These bear the issuing institution’s seal and the official signature of the Registrar (or Controller of Examinations). For those enrolled in degree study at the time of application, submit only the most recent in-progress transcript for that degree.
Which document formats are not accepted?
● A scanned copy of an official transcript
● Academic records printed from your school’s website.
● A paper transcript that is not sealed in the institution’s envelope.
● An evaluation provided by a credential service.
● A “true” copy prepared and signed by a faculty member, city or government official, or notary public.
How will I know when my transcripts have been processed?
Please allow up to two weeks, depending on the manner in which your documents were delivered, for Wolverine Access to reflect any updates.
Email email@example.com if you have any additional questions.